Lafayette, Louisiana—“The City of Festivals”
Lafayette is home to University of Louisiana at Lafayette- the second largest university in Louisiana and one of the top ranked universities in the South. The city is also home to a large Roman Catholic population and a large selection of private schools, as well as an excellent public school system.
With the shops of Northgate Mall, small boutiques of Downtown Lafayette and the Villages of River Ranch, Lafayette is a retail hub for the entire Acadiana area. Get your walking shoes ready for a day of retail therapy.
Festivals are a huge part of Lafayette culture, rivaling some of the most popular festivals in America. From the Gulf Brew and the Festival Acadiens to the Festival International de Louisiane, you might just have to take the week off after all the fun! Mark your calendar, there's already a countdown to next year's festivities!
Whether you're enjoying the outdoors at one of Lafayette's 13 parks or filling your calendar with music, food, and partying, you'll have plenty to do. In Lafayette all the entertainment comes to you! Catch a professional hockey game, semi-pro football game, or cheer on your kids soccer game with the family. Lafayette is the ultimate Southern city, offering all the amenities of urban life with lots of Creole charm.
City & State Statistics
- Lafayette is said to have more restaurants per capita than any American city!
- Lafayette has a cosmopolitan population of about 122,130 in 2010.
- The Vermillion River cuts through the heart of Lafayette, allowing residents to enjoy the riches of life on the water.
- The city is home to National Guard headquarters and the United States Marine Corps Reserve.
- Arts and culture are alive and thriving in Lafayette with venues like the Acadiana Symphony Orchestra and Conservatory of Music, Lafayette Ballet Theatre and Dance Conservatory, and the Performing Arts Society of Acadiana.
- Lafayette is rooted in the spirit of a college town, and the weekends are no exception. Downtown Lafayette emerges as a nightlife hub with lots of neighborhood dives, watering holes, live music and more.
- Serving the golfing community for over 30 years, Les Vieux Chenes Golf Course has been a hometown favorite for a round of 18 holes.
For more information:www.louisianatravel.com